Semaphore scaling

From: <mikej_at_rogers.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 9:53:56 -0500
I am running an application (Plesk) on a 4.9 system that is eating up all the semaphores and as a result some processes can’t run. I have contacted the software company, and they asked me to increase the semaphore limits in the kernel. However their suggested settings seemed very unproportional to me.

So my question is, how should I adjust the values, while keeping things in proportion? I wish to increase the default semaphore limit of 10 to 20. Can I simply double the semaphore related values?

This is what the support guys suggested:

---

# number of semaphore identifiers in the system - default is 10
options     SEMMNI=256

# other things that have to be set to allow increased semaphores without destabilizing system

options     SEMMAP=768      # amount of entries in semaphore map
options     SEMMNU=768      # number of undo structures in the system
options     SEMOPM=2560     # max number of operations per semop call
options     SEMUME=256      # max number of undo entries per process

# number of semaphores in the system - default is 60
options     SEMMNS=393216

# max number of semaphores per id - default is 60
options     SEMMSL=1536

---

Thanks.

1