Re: SCHED_ULE + nice strangeness?

From: Ion-Mihai Tetcu <itetcu_at_apropo.ro>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2004 05:17:48 +0200
On Fri, 5 Mar 2004 13:03:17 +1030
"Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor_at_gsoft.com.au> wrote:

> Hi,
> I have found that if I run Audacity (sound editor
> ports/audio/audacity) and do a CPU intensive task (eg noise removal,
> FFT filter, etc) my system becomes almost unusable (takes seconds for
> the mouse to respond, X shows signs of getting CPU very very rarely
> etc).
>
> I attempted to fudge a fix by reniceing X -20 and Audacity +10 but it
> didn't seem to make things any better.. I also found that in top the
> NICE column bears little resemblance to my setting.. I saw values like
> -100, -140, and 0.
>
> I haven't tried the same thing in SCHED_4BSD.. My kernel dates from
> around the beginning of February (-current)

What if you try to rtprio 16 -some_root_own_process ? I got panic:
Negative nice count with sources about 2 Feb trying this on portsdb
-Uu.. Upgraded to yesterday sources and it's still there. Fully
reproducible.

I've posted details on 3, but nobody seems to care.

Another strange thing:

#sh
while true
do
done

and watch how sh gets in top. Kill the loop when it's about 70% CPU and
switch to top again. It's still there for about 10 seconds.

--
IOnut
Unregistered ;) FreeBSD user