Re: Crashing under NFS load

From: Robert Watson <rwatson_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2004 11:11:57 -0500 (EST)
On Sun, 7 Mar 2004, Scott Sipe wrote:

> I have one box running CURRENT from Feb 29.  It is a headless box, and
> acts as an NFS server sreving up /usr/src and /usr/obj for my laptop.
> Three times now, I have been doing something on the laptop (buildworld,
> most recently I just did an "installkernel") and the headless NFS server
>   stops working, and resets--it comes back up fine, and the nfs client
> resumes normally.
>
> I've found nothing in any /var/log files that sheds a clue.
>
> Is there anything I can do to identify the problem?  I'm in the process
> of updating to the latest current to see if that fixes it.

Well, it would be fascinating to know if in that period between when it
goes offline, and comes back up, the console is actually outputting a
panic message.  Could you hook up a serial console, or turn on crashdumps,
if they're not already on?  Silent reboots are hard to debug, but panics
followed by reboots are a lot easier.

robert_at_fledge.watson.org      Senior Research Scientist, McAfee Research