Re: -CURRENT, EHCI, and the iPod

From: Craig Boston <craig_at_xfoil.gank.org>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2004 18:58:14 -0600
On Monday 08 March 2004 05:30 pm, you wrote:
> I have MFC'd the ehci controller
> and I see it working there.
> well, in general..
>---------
>
> however I still see some problems that I am looking at..
> e.g. sometimes teh kernel stops booting at the ehci probe.
> (sometimes it gets past it), So I've more to do.

Have you been able to successfully connect a USB 2 device to this controller?
The behavior I've seen on a couple ICH4 boards is that the controller gets
recognized fine and USB 1 devices work (through UHCI).   However, as soon as
I connect a USB 2 device, I get the "controller halted" and "disabling port"
messages.

Tried to debug it but didn't have much luck.  I suspect it's some subtle
timing bug or other weirdness with Intel's implementation. . .

My two NEC-based ones work ok -- one PCI and one CardBus.  I do sometimes have
panics with umass, and occassionally the laptop somehow loses all ability to
deliver interrupts, to anything (almost always when accessing the USB hard
drive for the first time after a reboot).

Craig