Re: 5.2.1 X problems with Vaio laptop

From: Thierry Herbelot <thierry_at_herbelot.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2004 21:56:20 +0100
Le Tuesday 09 March 2004 19:26, John Baldwin a écrit :

> > > I commented out the 'dri' option in my XF86Config and now everything is
> > > fine.
> >
> > good catch : I had the same issue, and now I can use the firewire port
> > and X11 at the same time on my notebook  thanks a bunch
>
> It seems that many BIOS's do not route the VGA devices interrupt correctly.
> Try checking to see if your BIOS has a setting for 'Assign IRQ to VGA' or
> some such and if so make sure it is on.

Alas ! I was not fully awake and I did not see ACPI was not enabled when I
tested >-(

tested combinations :
no ACPI :
X11 with neomagic driver : OK
X11 with vesa driver : OK (but no XVideo)
no external disk drive detection on the firewire

with ACPI :
X11 with neomagic : instant freeze of the machine
X11 with vesa : OK
correct external disk detection and use

in all cases dri is disabled, and no drm modules are loaded :
% kldstat
Id Refs Address    Size     Name
 1    5 0xc0400000 590f74   kernel
 2    1 0xc0991000 c048     snd_ds1.ko
 3    2 0xc099e000 1d58c    snd_pcm.ko
 4    1 0xc09bc00²0 48390    acpi.ko

this is with FreeBSD 5.2-CURRENT #3: Sun Feb 29 02:09:56 CET 2004 and
XFree86-Server-4.3.99.15_2 (locally compiled).

I suspect I'll boot and reboot until I change the machine (as soon as a
notebook K8 arrives ?)

I did not see any options related to an IRQ for the VGA display in the BIOS
setup (but setting "PnP OS" to NO crashes the machine)

this a PCG-F707 VAIO from Sony, with a very limited BIOS, and for which I did
not find any "ACPI patch" file (ASL).

	TfH