Re: HEADS UP! MAJOR change to FreeBSD/sparc64

From: Ken Smith <kensmith_at_cse.Buffalo.EDU>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 13:09:06 -0500
On Wed, Mar 10, 2004 at 01:00:07PM -0500, Garance A Drosihn wrote:

> The long-threatened change for FreeBSD/sparc64 has now been
> committed.  This changes time_t to be a 64-bit quantity, the
> same as it is for the AMD64 and IA64 architectures.  People
> running FreeBSD/sparc64 *will* have to read the UPDATING.64BTT
> file for instructions on how to safely build and install this
> change.

I'll get started on a new snapshot build of -current as of shortly
after this commit and replace the ISO image in snapshots/sparc64 on
the FreeBSD mirror sites (well, the ones that carry snapshots/ anyway).
When it's in place I'll let you know.  Probably two or three days.

As a reminder, Garance's instructions have been excellent so far.  I'm
just doing this in case someone does wind up having problems and ends
up with a machine that won't boot.  Installing from this snapshot once
it's built would start you off with a machine that already has the
64-bit time_t change done so you wouldn't need to re-attempt the upgrade.

--
						Ken Smith
- From there to here, from here to      |       kensmith_at_cse.buffalo.edu