Re: still spurious interrupts with ICH5 SATA

From: John Baldwin <jhb_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 13:03:34 -0500
On Thursday 11 March 2004 10:37 am, Alexander Leidinger wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 11:12:26 +0100
>
> Søren Schmidt <sos_at_DeepCore.dk> wrote:
> > Putinas Piliponis wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > > I upgraded from 5.2.1 to todays current and I get this:
> > > ( my mobo is Asus P4P800 Deluxe )
> > > If I boot with hint acpi disabled - I get panic
> > > If I boot with apic disabled - doesn't make difference
> > > HTT is disabled in bios, and SMP not compiled in kernel.
> > >
> > > If I try to boot in verbose mode, I continues repeating this
> > > ata3: spurious interupt - status=0x50 error=0x00
> > > ( really alot I even cannot get dmesg output from booting, because this
> > > ata3: blabla fill ups all the available space for msg ) but it still
> > > continues booting.
> >
> > Getting spurious interrupts does not nessesarily mean that something is
> > wrong, they will show up if you have shared irq's... If that is not the
> > problem it most likelu is a problem with interrupt routing or semialr
> > resource messups so that the interrupt is not properly ack'ed to the
> > device causing interrupt storms...
>
> I think the last time this was discussed, jhb (CCed) said it's maybe a
> problem in the SMP handling in the ata code...
>
> John, do I remember this correctly?

Well, I don't know where the bug lies, but I doubt it has to do with interrupt
routing.  Based on the vmstat -i output, none of the devices on the system
are storming (or even close to storming) so I don't think the routing can be
at fault here.  It does seem that all the reports I see now of problems with
interrupts (other than a problem with storm on irq 20 with acpi0 when it is
not shared with any other devices) involve ata(4).