Re: Project Evil: Success with Realtek 8180 (RTL8180)

From: Andre Guibert de Bruet <andy_at_siliconlandmark.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 02:41:15 -0500 (EST)
On Thu, 11 Mar 2004, Eric Wenger wrote:

>                   I also should point out that you can't configure two
> interfaces on the same subnet under FreeBSD so if you are hard wired to a
> wireless router you need to take care with addressing.

Yes you can, you'll just have to set the netmask to 0xffffffff as you do
with aliased IPs. This is a documented requirement. From the ifconfig
manpage:

     alias   Establish an additional network address for this interface.  This
	     is sometimes useful when changing network numbers, and one wishes
	     to accept packets addressed to the old interface.  If the address
	     is on the same subnet as the first network address for this
	     interface, a non-conflicting netmask must be given.  Usually
	     0xffffffff is most appropriate.

I have something similar set up at my apartment using gbit ether and
firewire:

nge0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
fwe1: flags=8943<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
	inet 10.10.10.56 netmask 0xffffffff broadcast 10.10.10.56

Regards,