Re: Who wants SACK? (Re: was My planned work on networking stack)

From: Petri Helenius <pete_at_he.iki.fi>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 07:41:12 +0200
David Malone wrote:

>Mind you, Petri originally asked about evidence for two machines
>back-to-back, and 100ms is rather long for that (unless you're at
>Steven Low's lab ;-)

Another interesting figure which comes to mind is whether "bursty loss"
is the usual way a multigigabit optical link loses IP packets or if the
flipping of single bit hits only one packet. This influences the actual
real life problem a lot and in my understanding of 8B/10B coding, itīs
designed not to lose sync over a single bit error so with a probability
of bit error every few minutes, hitting two in close succession (in the
window) is unlikely.

Some time ago we did experiments implementing FEC at IP layer to make
the multimedia which run over the network zero loss. While doing the
experiment we recognized that the clustered loss we saw was caused by
software issues in routers, not at any transmission devices. Using
somewhat deeper interleaving of packets solved the issue with this
application.

Pete