Re: ATAPICAM problem

From: Kevin Oberman <oberman_at_es.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 13:10:40 -0800
> Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 23:47:10 +0300
> From: Anton Nikiforov <anton_at_nikiforov.ru>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-current_at_freebsd.org
>
> Looks like i have found a problem.
> When i disable hints file in the kernel config - everything become fine
> and i can now see my cd0 perfectly :)
> Thanks everybody.

Ahh. Normally I would not recommend compiling hints into the kernel. The
main value of device hints is to allow them to be easily manipulated.

I'm sure that it marginally slows the boot operation, but it's way too
easy to have something in hints that you would like to change, but, with
hints in the kernel, you need to rebuild the kernel to make that change.

I am curious why this broke atapicam, though. Did you have something
odd in the compiled hints? Were you using the hints file in
/boot/device.hints or GENERIC.hints?
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)