Re: RFC: doscmd removal

From: John Hay <jhay_at_icomtek.csir.co.za>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 10:23:07 +0200
> > > I plan to remove doscmd from the base system for the sole reason that it
> > > is no longer useful. Any objections?
> >
> > Why would you want to remove it? It is still very usefull. I use it
> > regularly. The only drawback currently is that the Makefile is set
> > up in such a way that it does not pick up X during a "make world",
> > so after a "make world" you have to build it again to pick up X.
> > Built without X it is less usefull.
>
> This is exactly the reason why the source tree is not the right
> place for doscmd.

That might be and is the reason I asked for the reasoning behind it. One
reason why keeping it in the tree is good, is because it help pick API
changes that break it. Out in ports it might take a while to pick that
up and then it will be the poor user's problem. :-/ Doscmd use parts of
the kernel that isn't used by many other programs.

John
--
John Hay -- John.Hay_at_icomtek.csir.co.za / jhay_at_FreeBSD.org