Re: Pkg-based base system.

From: Johan Pettersson <manlix_at_demonized.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 14:09:47 +0100
On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 13:58:25 +0100
Robert Blacquiere <freebsd-current_at_guldan.demon.nl> wrote:

> /me smells linux based distros...
>
> I would not like that. It is now a complete system all acts like it should.
> If you take it appart you will see thing breaking and getting a mess like
> i won't say it.

If you want to remove something why shouldn't you be able to do it easily? If you want to remove something you can use rm(1) but its much simpler och easier with pkg_delete. And you know what you have and don't have with pkg_info or ls /var/db/pkg/

> if you remove ipfw of ipf from user space why should you also have it in kernel space?
> then you get the next level of removal in to pkg...

If I want to use IPFILTER i compile my kernel with IPFILTER, no IPFW here. Why should i then got ipfw-stuff which i dont use in the userland?