Re: Pkg-based base system.

From: Miguel Mendez <flynn_at_energyhq.es.eu.org>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 16:27:08 +0100
On Mon, 2004-03-15 at 13:58, Robert Blacquiere wrote:

Hi,

> /me smells linux based distros...
>
> I would not like that. It is now a complete system all acts like it should.
> If you take it appart you will see thing breaking and getting a mess like
> i won't say it.
>
> if you remove ipfw of ipf from user space why should you also have it in kernel space?
> then you get the next level of removal in to pkg...

Hmm, I don't see it that way. It's not that different from what we have
now when you build world with some options in your /etc/make.conf to
prevent the build of e.g. bind, sendmail etc. I don't think having
extremely fine granularity would be good, but some subsystems could be
made into packages. Let's say 'base' with minimal stuff to get the
system up, 'devel', which would include gcc and friends, sendmail, bind
and others look good candidates for this. ipf[w] should always be in
base, since they rely on being in sync with kernel, like other basic
tools and libc. It's different from Linux distros where upgrading glibc
to release du jour will break half of the installed software.

Just my 2 cents.
--
	Miguel Mendez <flynn_at_energyhq.es.eu.org>
	http://www.energyhq.es.eu.org