Re: NO_TOOLCHAIN really working?

From: Ruslan Ermilov <ru_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 19:13:33 +0200
On Mon, Mar 15, 2004 at 03:06:41PM +0100, Max Laier wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 15, 2004 at 02:44:14PM +0100, Harald Schmalzbauer wrote:
> > Dear all,
> >
> > I'm currently building -current for an embedded system and have the
> > following line in my make.conf:
> > NO_TOOLCHAIN=yes
>
> This makes sure that you do not build or install:
> gnu/usr.bin/{cc, binutils}, usr.bin/{c89, c99, gprof, lex, xlint, yacc}

True.

> > Why do I see those lines while make buildworld?
>
> This might be from the bootstrap stage? The switch affects the final stage
> only.

We still need to build the "cross" versions of compiler, binutils,
and other tools in the chain, to be able to build the rest of the
world.  We may be building for a different TARGET_ARCH, or just
bootstrapping (need to link with new libraries and headers, etc.)

The standard buildworld builds a toolchain in stage 3 of buildworld,
then builds the world (including toolchain) in stage 4 using the
special version of toolchain built in stage 3.  (The toolchain
from stage 3 is special because it uses different default paths
to pick up headers, libraries, etc., as opposed to the standard
version.)  NO_TOOLCHAIN instructs buildworld to not build (and
later not install in installworld) the toolchain in stage 4.

> > cc -Os -pipe -DIN_GCC -DHAVE_CONFIG_H
> <...>
> > -c /usr/src/contrib/gcc/combine.c
>
> > And what is the include tree good for if I don't want to have gcc at all?
>
> That depends on the situation, but I don't think it's too much of a problem
> to rm the include tree before writing to your flash.

We can easily add the NO_INCLUDES knob to bsd.incs.mk.  I assume
there still be some headers (that are not installed through the
standard way using <bsd.incs.mk>), but that can and should be
dealt with.  Good question!  I'll add it to my TODO list for
share/mk/.

Cheers,
--
Ruslan Ermilov