(unknown charset) Re: spaces before tabs

From: (unknown charset) Bruce Evans <bde_at_zeta.org.au>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 06:57:50 +1100 (EST)
On Mon, 15 Mar 2004, Dag-Erling [iso-8859-1] Smørgrav wrote:

> Thomas Dickey <dickey_at_radix.net> writes:
> > #define longstring "This is a string \
> > 	that does not really have \"leading blanks\", per \
> > 	se, but some scripts may have other opinions"

Would you object to changing the formatting bugs in the string literal
(embedded tabs)? :-)  Misformatting of user-visible message is a larger
bug than misformatting of source code.

> this is one of the reasons why our style guidelines prohibit multiline
> string literals.

Actuallly, there is no such prohibition, and multiline string literals
are normal style -- they are used in every CSRG copryright message in
the src tree.  There is only a C language prohibition on hard newlines
in string literals (*).  The above is not an example of this.

(*) Hard newlines in string literals used to be a gcc feature, but gcc-3
dropped it, apparently without providing a flag to give backwards
compatible behaviour.

Bruce