Re: To the Armchair Directors

From: Gordon Tetlow <gordon_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 15:48:23 -0800
On Mon, Mar 15, 2004 at 09:47:30AM -0800, Gary W. Swearingen wrote:
> Peter Schultz <pmes_at_bis.midco.net> writes:
>
> > Don't piss off the programmers!  ;-)
> >
> > If you're not a programmer, restrain yourself from suggesting how easy
> > this or that thing would be to do.  These guys simply *do not* need
> > your "input".  Remember that this is *open source* and that if you
> > think something is worth doing that nobody else is working on, you
> > need to take on the project yourself.
>
> The above sort of user-off-putting attitude seems inappropriate to
> this mailing list, if we're to believe the Handbook's description,
> which begins:
>
>    Discussions about the use of FreeBSD-CURRENT
>
>    This is the mailing list for users of FreeBSD-CURRENT.
>
> This list seems to be the main interface between users and developers,
> where the later can get a sense of what the former think of their OS
> and what's wrong with it, in design as well as implementation.
> Otherwise, they should just isolate themselves in hackers_at_ or start up
> a freebsd-current-dev.  Jumping on someone for thinking out loud about
> the difficulty of a better (?) design just pisses off users instead of
> developers.  Save it for the -hackers list or start up a -current-dev
> list where developers can isolate their delicate sensibilities from
> us whiny users.

It's not the suggestion, it was the "This couldn't be too hard to
implement" that gets on nerves. I can say that I found it rather
annoying, and all too much like my day job where people tell me how
long I have to do something when they are not in a position to know
how long something takes to implement.

-gordon