Re: Nuking parts of the world

From: Colin Percival <colin.percival_at_wadham.ox.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 09:58:36 +0000
At 09:46 16/03/2004, Roman Neuhauser wrote:
>    usr.sbin/nslookup should be part of freebsd-base-bind, not
>     freebsd-base, just like dig, host and dnsquery (there's probably
>     more).

   I thought about those for quite a while.  I ended up deciding that
while they are technically part of bind, the most likely reason why
someone would want to remove bind is if they are replacing the *name
server* with something else (eg, djbdns), and they would probably be
surprised if {nslookup, dig, host, dnsquery} disappeared.  The best
solution might be to tag those four as freebsd-base-bind-client... as
I said, this was a one-day hack job with all sorts of rough edges.
   If you want to count those as part of freebsd-base-bind, just
remove the COMPONENT= lines from their respective Makefiles; they'll
inherit the -bind tag from usr.sbin/named/Makefile.inc.

>    isn't the freebsd- prefix enough? I mean, from the names I would
>     expect freebsd-base be a superset of all the freebsd-base-*.

   Well, the ports tree already has "freebsd-games", "freebsd-uucp",
and "freebsd-update"; it might be confusing if the -base- were omitted.
Better to err on the side of verbosity.

Colin Percival