Re: kmem_map too small, revisited

From: Sven Willenberger <sven_at_dmv.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 11:00:30 -0500
On Tue, 2004-03-16 at 10:20, David Malone wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 16, 2004 at 09:08:18AM -0500, Sven Willenberger wrote:
> > Where should I begin to better diagnose what exactly is going on here?
>
> I can suggest two ways. The first is to record the output of "vmstat
> -m" every 5 minutes from when the machine boots until it dies. If
> something is consuming all your kernel memory, this may tell us
> what subsystem it is.

I will get that started on one of the boxes ASAP.

> Another possibility is to add the DDB and DDB_UNATTENDED options
> to your kernel and record the backtraces when the machine reboots.

Do I need to define dumpdev in rc.conf as well? Also, after the machine
reboots after the crash, I can access the kernel dump with DDB by
dropping to debug mode? (via the sysctl or keyboard per the handbook and
assuming the DDB_UNATTENDED preserves the information upon reboot into
multi-user)

Sven