Re: kmem_map too small, revisited

From: Sven Willenberger <sven_at_dmv.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 18:52:55 -0500
On Tue, 2004-03-16 at 18:31, David Malone wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 16, 2004 at 03:18:37PM -0500, Sven Willenberger wrote:
> > What exactly is "cred" and how would I go about finding out a) if that
> > first set of numbers is completely out of line and b) what is causing it
> > to go so high if it is in fact out of whack.
>
> cred is for the credentials of an object (who created it, so the
> kernel knows what it is permitted to do). A leak of cred objects
> related to tcp connections was fixed on the 19th of Feb in -current
> and was merged before the release of 5.2. Is the code you are
> running recent enough to have this fix?

I assume you mean 5.2.1? If so, then this bodes quite well actually.
>From the previous reply in which the cred reading was extremely high it
looks like the build date was just prior to the commit:

FreeBSD host.dmv.com 5.2.1-RC2 FreeBSD 5.2.1-RC2 #0: Thu Feb 19 11:19:04 EST 2004

I will update the other machines in this cluster immediately to
5.2.1-Release (cvsup'ing with a release tag of RELENG_5_2 should
suffice, yes?) if they are not already. Since these machines are heavy
in tcp connections and run under various users (defang, mailnull, etc)
your explanation makes absolute sense in light of the repaired leak. I
hope this does the trick :-)

Sven