Re: Pkg-based base system.

From: Sven Esbjerg <esbjerg_at_xbsd.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 12:03:57 +0100
On Wed, Mar 17, 2004 at 06:57:19AM +0000, Colin Percival wrote:
> At 04:43 17/03/2004, Scott Long wrote:
> >FreeBSD is an operating
> >system.  It is not a kernel with interchangeable userland pieces.
>
>   Nor, I think, do many users want a kernel with interchangeable
> userland pieces.  What I hear from many users, however, is that
> they would like an operating system with optional pieces -- so
> that they could sysinstall FreeBSD without sendmail, named, or
> doscmd (to take a random example).

This is something I would very much like to see. As it is now I rip out the
printing system, sendmail, bind from all the FreeBSD installations I do.
For those who must know I install CUPS, Postfix and Bind-9.x instead.

I have no problem with FreeBSD having a default set of 'packages' but it
would be nice to be able to maintain a binary release of freebsd where I can
choose userland pacakeges with sysinstall and not (allways) having to
maintain my own src-tree with things turned of from wich I create my 'own'
freebsd.

If the freebsd team is positive towards having parts of freebsd as packages I
would like to commit some time into making this possible. Maybe not for 5.3
but for later releases.

I understand this discussion can turn into a bikeshed situation. I hope it
doesn't end there ;)

Sven Esbjerg