Re: agp0 hang in 5.2.1-RELEASE

From: Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-current-local_at_be-well.ilk.org>
Date: 17 Mar 2004 18:20:01 -0500
"Schultz, David W" <dws535s_at_smsu.edu> writes:

> I am attempting to install FreeBSD 5.2.1 on a Gateway 7200 Server with
> Dual P3 500 MHz.  It has onboard agp graphics by Cirrus Logic, the bios
> has the onboard video disabled and has a pci ATI Xpert98 running
> instead.  The server install correctly using the floppy disks, but once
> it was rebooted the system hangs on agp0.  Is there any way to disable
> agp at boot time, because I can not get to the src directory to
> recompile the kernel without this option, I checked the documentation
> and could not find any help there.  Any suggestions for a work around?

I worked around it by using the kernel from the install floppies
(which doesn't include AGP).  I started an install from the floppies,
and then booted up from them in fixit mode, copied the kernel over to
the hard disk, and bootstrapped from there.  It's a royal pain, but I
didn't want to spend too much effort on it because I proved that my
hardware was definitely to blame.

Eric Anholt (anholt_at_) was going to take a look at it, but workarounds
for "broken" hardware implementations are obviously not a high
priority.  I just hope that there will continue to be a kernel
available without AGP.  I *don't* understand why AGP isn't loaded from
a module instead of built into the kernel, but I wasn't willing to put
more time into it myself.

Be well.