Re: Updating sparc64 time_t, hostname not found

From: Garance A Drosihn <drosih_at_rpi.edu>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 16:48:51 -0500
At 11:04 PM +0200 3/18/04, Wafa M. Hadidi wrote:

>On Thursday 18 March 2004 22:56, Garance A Drosihn wrote:
>  > At 10:48 PM +0200 3/18/04, Wafa M. Hadidi wrote:
>  > >
>  > > Didn't work, yet, there is something strange that I am not
>  > > really sure of.
>  > >   1) The date of all files in /usr/src is Jan, 1, 1970,
>>  >   2) the timestamp of any newly created file is
>>  >      also Jan,1,1970, providing that the machine time is
>>  >      showing the correct time.
>>
>>  This gets a little tricky, so you have to be careful.  What are
>>  you using to determine "the date of files"?  'ls'?  Which 'ls'?
>>  Are you running on a 64-bTT kernel, but using a 32-bTT 'ls'?
>
>both /bin/ls and /usr/obj/usr/src/bin/ls/ls are showing the same
>results, I am still running on 32-bTT kernel compiled like 1 hour
>ago from the latest source tree.

I am getting a bit confused here.  Are you having the same exact
problem as Daniel Bond?  (that is what this thread has been talking
about).  I assume you are talking about some other problem.

If you are running a 32-bTT kernel, and still running applications
compiled for 32-bTT, then whatever problem you're seeing is not
due to the 64-bTT changes.    However, if you did compile the
kernel from the latest source tree, then that would default to a
64-bTT.  You would have to explicitly change __time_t in
/usr/src/sys/sparc64/include/_types.h before compiling the
kernel.  I just tried a version of 'ls' compiled with 32-bTT on
a 64-bTT system, and I am seeing the same kind of behavior that
you are reporting.  (in my case, all files show up 'Dec 31 1969',
but I suspect that is a difference in timezones...).

When you do the commands:
    grep __time_t /usr/src/sys/sparc64/include/_types.h
    grep __time_t /usr/include/machine/_types.h

What do you see for the typedef's in the two files?

If you just built a new kernel, how did you build and install it?
Did you do it using 'make buildkernel' / 'make installkernel' in
/usr/src, or did you do it in the old-standard way?

--
Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad_at_gilead.netel.rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer           or  gad_at_freebsd.org