Re: Updating sparc64 time_t, hostname not found

From: Garance A Drosihn <drosih_at_rpi.edu>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 17:28:40 -0500
At 12:05 AM +0200 3/19/04, Wafa M. Hadidi wrote:

>On Thursday 18 March 2004 23:48, Garance A Drosihn wrote:
>>
>>  I am getting a bit confused here.  Are you having the same exact
>>  problem as Daniel Bond?  (that is what this thread has been talking
>>  about).  I assume you are talking about some other problem.
>
>I had the same exact error:
>===> include
>make: don't know how to make a.out.h. Stop
>*** Error code 2

Ah, okay.  Thanks.

>  > When you do the commands:
>>      grep __time_t /usr/src/sys/sparc64/include/_types.h
>>      grep __time_t /usr/include/machine/_types.h
>>
>>  What do you see for the typedef's in the two files?
>
>__int32_t

Okay.  Hmm.  Well, that indicates that it is not the 64-bTT
change itself which is the problem.  Unfortunately, knowing that
does not actually help you.  Given your answer, I am also then
at a loss to explain the times you are seeing from 'ls' output.

>  > If you just built a new kernel, how did you build and install
>  > it?
>
>I was in Step Pre-3. After a successfull buildworld, buildkernel,
>installkernel, reboot the installworld failed with the error
>message shown above.

The other thing this tells me is that your problem looks the same
as Daniel's problem, but it must be slightly different.  He got
all the way to step 17, while you are seeing the problem before
you have changed anything to be 64-bit time_t's.

The fact that you are seeing this at the earlier stage is probably
very significant, but I am not sure what it means...

If you are failing that early in the installworld step, then it
should be true that very little was actually changed.  What happens
if you reboot into your previous kernel?  Do you still get the odd
time-stamp results from 'ls'?  What do you get for the output of
the 'date' command?  Something reasonable?  Or is it just that
your machine-clock is getting reset to zero?  (you might want
to boot up in single-user mode to check that, perhaps your normal
startup process will do things that fix your system's clock).

Also, if you are upgrading to the latest files in /usr/src, when
did you do your *previous* system upgrade?  That might help us
figure out what's happening.

--
Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad_at_gilead.netel.rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer           or  gad_at_freebsd.org