Re: 5.2 is dangerous to drive

From: Jon Noack <noackjr_at_alumni.rice.edu>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 03:05:19 -0600
On 3/16/2004 3:33 PM, Wayne M Barnes wrote:
>     Thank you for your advice, which has given me hope, but how to I
> implement it?
>
> Here is my guess for what to edit into the kernel config file:
>
> nodevice apic
> nodevice smp
>
>     Is this correct?  I really don't see any lines about apic
> anywhere in /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/
>
> [But I am on 5.1 now.  Does something about apic appear in 5.2?]
>
>     I surely had no SMP enabled, anyway, since I only have one processor.
> I do have an NVIDIA nForce2 series motherboard, an ASUS A7N8X, so
> you perceived that correctly.
>
>     Why should I want to get ACPI running again?
>
>     How can I get "without ACPI" to be the default boot behaviour?
> Would that be to edit something in loader.conf?
>
>     Thanks for any more advice,
>
>                  - Wayne
>
> On Mon, Mar 15, 2004 at 09:34:50PM +0100, Arjan van Leeuwen wrote:
>
>>On Monday 15 March 2004 17:57, Wayne Barnes wrote:
>>
>>>Dear Level 5ers,
>>>
>>>   I got a 5.2.1 CD in the mail, so I thought I should upgrade
>>>from my older 5.0-CURRENT which had been working very well
>>>for months.
>>>
>>>   Big mistake.

>>Not that big a mistake. Sounds like you have an nforce2-board. If you search
>>the archives, you'll find that you can install 5.2 (or 5.2.1) on this board
>>by disabling ACPI during the install (option 2 in the boot menu). Once you're
>>up and running, build a kernel without apic and smp (that's apic, not ACPI)
>>to get ACPI support working again.
>>
>>Best regards,
>>
>>Arjan

Please don't top-post -- you lose context...

Arjan already included the relevant info, but here's a rehash:
1) Boot 5.2.1 CD
2) Disable ACPI at the boot loader (option 2)
3) Upgrade as normal
4) Sysinstall automatically put the appropriate entry to disable ACPI
into /boot/loader.conf on a fresh install of 5.2.1 (after I selected
option 2 on the loader).  In any case, ensure that 'exec="unset
acpi_load"' is present in /boot/loader.conf to disable ACPI.
5) Comment out 'options SMP' and 'device apic' from your kernel config
file, rebuild/install, and off you go...

Comments:
1) Have you tried running fsck on the partition that won't mount?
2) GENERIC comes with SMP enabled by default in 5.2.1.  For nForce
boards you must disable apic, which precludes compiling in SMP.  Thus,
both must be disabled to make a kernel work with ACPI for the nForce.
3) Why ACPI?  Try 'man acpi':
"This support includes platform hardware discovery (superseding the PnP
and PCI BIOS), as well as power management (superseding APM) and other
features."

Jon