Re: HEADS UP! MAJOR change to FreeBSD/sparc64

From: Poul-Henning Kamp <phk_at_phk.freebsd.dk>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 21:36:11 +0100
In message <405B519E.4060501_at_aueb.gr>, Diomidis Spinellis writes:

>I could not find anything in my copy of C99, substantiating that.
>Seconds are not mentioned in any of the sections 7.23.1 defining time_t,
>7.23.2.3 defining mktime, and 7.23.2.4 defining time.  Section 7.23.2.4
>specifically states that "the encoding of the value is unspecified", and
>7.23.2.3 specifies that "mktime returns the specified calendar time
>encoded as a value of type time_t".

This is a very interesting discussion with many interesting aspects.

I can barely wait until we get to discuss the theoretically very
important question of how many angles can dance on a time_t, not
to mention what they can dance in the resolution interval of it.

Also I find very insteresting the meta question it is possible to
define time_t as a type which is not able to represent the duration
of a bikeshed discussion about the finer aspects of type of time_t.

In the meantime time_t is a integer counting seconds since 00:00:00Z
1970-01-01 because anything else would be suicide by a thousand broken
ports.

If they survive that long, God forbid, even i386 and alpha will
have 64bit time_t before it becomes really important.

Can we get back to reality now ?