Re: Pan crashing in libgnuregex after -pthread switchover

From: Andrey Chernov <ache_at_nagual.pp.ru>
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2004 16:45:40 +0300
On Sat, Mar 20, 2004 at 04:04:17PM +0300, Andrey Chernov wrote:
> It is interesting note, but I don't see how you really can use _both_ GNU
> regex and libc regexec/regcomp. To use libc regexec/regcomp you need to

Lets think about even more complex case:

file a.c
#include <gnu/regex.h>

file b.c
#include <regex.h> // I.e. system one

It breaks GNU regex ABI when calling, say, regcomp() because all _modern_
programs which want GNU regex family assumes that regcomp is part of GNU
regex library (or GNU libc) and wants it there. If we remove regcomp()
from GNU regex library (like in old variant with NO_POSIX_COMPAT you
mentioned), the library will be incomplete and there is no chance for some
programs to find needed functions there. I mean - they include
<gnu/regex.h> but got wrong (system one) regcomp() in result, if
NO_POSIX_COMPAT will be introduced again.

--
Andrey Chernov | http://ache.pp.ru/