Re: libpthread / mysql41-server

From: Scott Long <scottl_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2004 01:15:05 -0700
Daniel Eischen wrote:

> On Sun, 21 Mar 2004, Andy Hilker wrote:
>

>>Hi,
>>
>>You (Craig Rodrigues) wrote:

>>>Look at the mailing list archives for the freebsd-threads
>>>mailing list.  There was some discussion about mysql.
>>>
>>>http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-threads
>>>http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-threads/2004-January/
>>
>>It seems that i have a similar issue like
>>
>>http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-threads/2004-February/001660.html
>>
>>But maybe it is not fixed or exists again.
>>Bumping up thread sysctls or using libmap.conf are not better. mySQL
>>becomes very unresponsive.
>

> Mysql uses scope system threads which are limited to
> kern.threads.max_groups_per_proc.  System scope threads
> seem to have unfair scheduling also.  I use SCHED_4BSD
> and this patch to mysql40-server to make it use process
> scope threads and it works much better:
>
>   http://people.freebsd.org/~deischen/mysql40-server.diffs
>
> I haven't made a patch to other versions of mysql, but I
> have sent the maintainer the patch.

Having MySQL work 'out of the box' is a critical item for the success
of FreeBSD 5.3 and beyond.  Should your patch be incorporated into the
port?  What are the tradeoffs between system and process scope threads
in this situation?  Since issues with system scope threads seem to come
up alot, what will it take to make them no longer be a problem?

Scott