Re: system lockup - ata spurious interrupts - somehow updated

From: Putinas Piliponis <putinas.piliponis_at_icnspot.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2004 12:59:05 +0200
As for me, it looks what ata code is not correctly handling more then one
ata controller. If I set in bios compatible mode, and I have only P-ATA+
S-ATA, everything works fine, I can boot in verbose mode, no spurious
interrupts at all. If I set in bios as bios default Enchanced mode for S-ATA
then I still can boot in verbose mode, I see plenty of spurious interrupts
on ata2 and ata3 controllers, but system is still continues booting. If I
set
enchanced
mode for S-ATA + P-ATA I cannot boot either in verbose mode or either in
normal mode. System gets stuck forever ( or at least for long time ) after I
see:
"Mounting root from ufs:ad8s3a".
and if I boot then in verbose mode, I see nonstopable spurious interrupts on
ata2, ata3, ata4 and ata5.

This is also could explain, why 5.2.1 is still stable with 4 ide drives,
and continuesly freezing or panicing with 6 ( or more I guess ) ide drives.
and as well why for some people configuration is working, either they use
4 drives not on all different channels, but some of them maybe on same
channel ( again my guess ).