5.2.1-RELEASE and wi0 control

From: Sean Welch <Sean_Welch_at_alum.wofford.org>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 08:20:52 -0600
Sorry for crossposting but I'm not sure which list is
more appropriate for these questions (plus, I sent it
to current over a week ago and it just disappeared).

I'm really enjoying 5.2.1 on my Dell Inspiron 8000 and
have pretty much switched over from 4.9 for everyday
use.  There are just a few niggling details that keep
me from being completely happy with it.  Two of them
deal with the pccard slots.

First, I'm using newcard instead of pccard and I'm
wondering if there is a way to shut down power to the
slots (without turning the laptop off, you jokers!!)?
I used pccardc power commands quite a bit under 4.9
but can't seem to find a way to duplicate this behavior.

Second, I hooked in a script to apmd.conf under 4.9
to switch my pccard wi0 to low power mode when on
battery and back to full power mode when attached to
AC.  Looking at devd.conf it would appear I could do
the same thing with a notify statement but it just
doesn't work.  I copied the example at the end and
just substitued my own script as the one that is
called on a powerstate change, then changed it to a
simple file creation statement; neither does a thing.
Looking at the manpage for devd.conf there is no
mention whatsoever of a notify statement being
supported.  Is this something that is *not* supported
in 5.2.1-RELEASE?

The only other thing causing me grief is the sound.
Is anyone else getting pops and fraction of a second
distortions?  I've been unable to track it down to
anything specific.  This laptop has a maestro3 chipset
that sounds absolutely smooth under 4.x (never had any
trouble with it).  I had similar problems under 5.2
but it was fixed by a patch that was circulated on the
mailing lists.  Someone claimed it had been committed
when I asked about this earlier but it isn't in 5.2.1
and it when I compile it there is no difference.  If
any of you know what I'm talking about in 5.2-RELEASE,
my install has the same characteristics as that did --
including the delayed ending of sound when the program
exits.

Sean