Re: SF Bay area hackfest

From: Daniel Eischen <eischen_at_vigrid.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 16:49:51 -0500 (EST)
On Tue, 23 Mar 2004, Scott Long wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Mar 2004, Julian Elischer wrote:
> >
> > With new binutils we should (*) be able, with minimal more work be able
> > to generate statically linked binaries using TLS.  (*) the loader needs
> > to set some values into symbols and the thread scheduler needs code to
> > allocate a segment of 'M' bytes every time it rceates a new thread and
> > set a pointer to it.. (it already allocates some info but it needs to
> > allocate 'M' bytes more) where 'M' is the statically detirmined TLS
> > size.
> >
> > The next step would be to add code to the dynamic linker to be able to
> > allocate  TLS segments to modules as it loads them. The TLS spec pretty
> > much outlines what needs to be done..
> >
> > We NEED to do this.. it is not a "may be nice" item.
> > TLS is becoming standard on many platforms and more and  more software
> > is ASSUMING it is present. (e.g. nvidia drivers).
> >

> So what david is asking for (and what I've asked for in the past) is a
> list of tasks that need to be done, and and who is going to be responsible
> for each one.  This is a very reasonable request, and is one that I'm

For the KSE bits, we've already said a few times that we're
ready to go but are waiting for a toolchain upgrade that
supports TLS.

> going to enforce.  I don't want 5.3 to go out with hap-hazard and/or
> unfinished TLS support.  SO let me start the list, and I'll let you and
> others add to it.  If we can't get through this step, then there is
> absolutely no way that we can expect to get this done for 5.3.  And for
> the record, I would really, really like to see this done for 5.3.

I don't quite understand why you need commitments for a toolchain
upgrade.  From what I understand, TLS support can't happen without
it, and by deferring the toolchain update you prevent it from
getting done.  But I'll play along regardless...

>  Task                                 Owner
>
>  Import new GCC                       Alexander Kavaev
>  Import new binutils                  ???
>  Modify loader (image activator?)
>   to understand TLS                   ???
>  Modify KSE to understand TLS         ???

Yes, I'm sure I and/or David can support this.

>  Modify THR to understand TLS         ???
>  Modify C_R to understand TLS         ???

Death to C_R, death to C_R, ...

--
Dan Eischen