Re: sound issues in -CURRENT

From: jason <jason_at_ec.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 20:15:25 -0500
Eirik Oeverby wrote:

> Hoi,
>
> I have all debugging and witness stuff disabled, though I am using
> SCHED_ULE. Apart from that, the problem seems to be somewhat less
> evident when playing from the network (no playback-related disk i/o),
> but it only reduces the problem - it does not eliminate it.
>
> As I have stated earlier, the problem gets worse over time. After a
> clean reboot (even though all the apps I use are started and running),
> the problem shows up once every few minutes. Now, after a couple of
> days uptime, it happens a few times per minute - enough to annoy me
> ever so slightly when trying to tap the rhytm with my foot ;)
>
> My HDD is running in ATA-100 mode (no PIO) and is reasonably fast.
> FreeBSD 4.9 works perfectly on the same machine, with all the same
> software.
>
> /Eirik
>
> Pav Lucistnik wrote:

>>> I think you are suffering from the high interrupt latency in -current,
>>> this combined with a soundcard with a small buffer would easily lead
>>> to your problems. A slow disk or PIO mode could also be troublesome
>>> in some cases. You do have witness etc turned off right ?
>>

>> I hear this too, on both my cards (Soundblaster 128 and onboard AC97
>> codec). I have all possible debugging turned off. Heavy disc activity
>> like untarring triggers the symptoms, which sounds like buffer underruns
>> on the soundcard. Almost sounds like a new ATA stack is really effective
>> (leaving little CPU cycles for feeding data to soundcard).

I have had this problem before myself.  It would happen to me under
load, but not that often.  Usaully I'd be cvsuping, streaming or playing
music, and I do a lot of compiling because I like to keep things up to
date.  I think I may have first noticied it on current before 5.2.1 with
the switch to sched_ule.  I have since added the patch to ule that had
been cirrculating on the current mailing list before it was commited.
It may have speed some things up, but I have yet to notice any skipping
or sound problems in xmms.  I will but some load on the system while
streaming, but a week or less without problems is too soon to tell.  At
least I think it might be.

Jason