Re: em0 dead after suspend/restore on t40

From: Peter Schuller <peter.schuller_at_infidyne.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 14:32:18 +0100
> on a t40 running -current, i will often, but not always, see
>
>     em0: Link is up 1000 Mbps Full Duplex
>     em0: The EEPROM Checksum Is Not Valid
>     em0: Unable to initialize the hardware
>     em0: The EEPROM Checksum Is Not Valid
>     em0: Unable to initialize the hardware
>
> on a resume.  after a reboot,

I don't know if it's related or not, but I have had similar problems on my
T40p. Firstly, I get that EEPROM problem whenever the cardbus bridge is
enabled. Disabling cardbus made that particular problem go away completely.

However I still had problems with suspend/resume and I submitted a PR/patch
that fixes it on my machine:

   http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=i386/59806

Perhaps the two problems are related? My problem with suspend/resume can also
be said to happen "often" but not always. When em0 dies I tend to get
watchdog warnings, and often even a kernel panic as mentioned in the PR.

(I'm thinking perhaps the two problems are caused by the same thing but result
in different error messages in our two situations.)

PGP userID: 0xE9758B7D or 'Peter Schuller <peter.schuller_at_infidyne.com>'
Key retrieval: Send an E-Mail to getpgpkey_at_scode.org
E-Mail: peter.schuller_at_infidyne.com Web: http://www.scode.org