Re: Mozilla crash and burn?

From: Alexander Leidinger <Alexander_at_Leidinger.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 20:27:47 +0100
On Wed, 24 Mar 2004 09:06:41 -0600
Peter Schultz <pmes_at_bis.midco.net> wrote:

> Alexander Leidinger wrote:
> > On Tue, 23 Mar 2004 10:21:27 -0500
> > Jason Andresen <jandrese_at_mitre.org> wrote:
> >

> >>I was having trouble with Mozilla too.  It kept exiting on signal 11s
> >>when I booted it.  Turns out the font libraries (fontconfig, Xft,
> >

> > We don't see it while starting mozilla. And we don't see it crash with
> > every site (e.g. my personal website doesn'T result in a crash).
> >

> >>freetype2) were out of sync and recompiling them fixed the problem.
> >

> > I updated mozilla after "portupgrade -fr expat freetype2", so this
> > shouldn't be the problem here.
> >

> Can you do a completely clean install of FreeBSD?  I can't help but

No, sorry, I can't do that. This would be against my philosophy...
Please suggest this to Windows users, but not to people with an OS which
allows to find the reason of a problem (see below).

> think you guys suffering from software degradation.  I was having a
> terrible time with my system after the expat debacle, but have had
> complete stability since starting fresh.

find /usr/local /usr/X11R6 -type f -print0 | xargs -0 pkg_which -v | fgrep '?' | cut -f 1 -d :
showed me some files which may be the cause of this (don't delete
everything without a review, you would delete your configs in
/usr/local/etc and /usr/X11R6/etc then).

It seems I had an old version of the freetype2 includes lying around in:
/usr/X11R6/include/freetype2/freetype/

I removed the supoerflous files (after reviewing the file list and
without losing my etc/ directories) and I'm rebuilding now...

Peter, thanks for the suggestion!

Bye,
Alexander.

--
           I will be available to get hired in April 2004.

http://www.Leidinger.net                       Alexander _at_ Leidinger.net