Re: Berkeley packet filter device in kernel config

From: Max Laier <max_at_love2party.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 21:16:10 +0100
On Wednesday 24 March 2004 20:33, MaNUaL wrote:
> Hi. I am using 5.2.1-RELEASE-p3 and in the GENERIC
> configuration file of the kernel in
> /usr/src/sys/i386/conf there is the following line:
>
> device bpf # Berkeley packet filter
>
> Though, in the FreeBSD handbook it says:
>
> pseudo-device bpf # Berkeley packet filter
>
> I have used "device bpf" but there is no /dev/bpf* at
> all...
>
> Am i missing something here? How should i define this?
> pseudo-device or device?

"pseudo-device" is gone for a long time now (in 5.x at least). If the handbook
referse to pseudo-device it must be updated.

"device bpf" gives what you are looking for, but the device nodes are not
created as long as they are not used. Try for example:
# tcpdump -i lo0
^C
and you will find /dev/bpf0 afterwards. More information on this topic is in
the archives ... search for "mega patch", "device cloning" and "bfp0" ---
iirc the same issue was discussed back then. I think you just have to open()
or stat() the device and devfs will do the rest.

--
Best regards,				| mlaier_at_freebsd.org
Max Laier				| ICQ #67774661