Re: SF Bay area hackfest

From: Daniel Eischen <eischen_at_vigrid.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 16:20:22 -0500 (EST)
On Wed, 24 Mar 2004, Julian Elischer wrote:

> On Wed, 24 Mar 2004, Scott Long wrote:
>
> > Julian Elischer wrote:
> > > who cares?
> >
> > That's the wrong answer.
>
> yes I know.
>
> It's just that we decided at the dev summit that we were dropping alpha
> as a tier one platform and everyone seems to have forgotten that.
> Sparc support is planned but we've had very little input from Sparc
> developers (are there any?)

As far as KSE goes, we've tried getting someone to help us
on sparc64 and alpha, but so far no-one has stepped forward.

And TLS support for sparc64 and alpha can be added to
libpthread regardless of whether the library is fully
functional on those archs.

> >  There is a formal statement from the project
> > that sparc64 is a tier-1 platform and also the reference platform for 64
> > bit support.  The definition of tier-1 is that new functionality is
> > added to all tier-1 platforms.  This is no exception.  I'm not going to
> > re-open the tier discussion right now, though we indeed need to review
> > it in the next month or two.  For rgiht now, plan on supporting all
> > tier-1 platforms.  You don't need to necessarily write all the code
> > yourself for these, but you have to be prepared to take them into
> > consideration and take responsibility for getting the code written
> > by someone.

And you know that we have tried to do this.

--
Dan Eischen