RE: LOR on current

From: Don Bowman <don_at_sandvine.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 16:47:28 -0500
From: Kris Kennaway [mailto:kris_at_obsecurity.org]
> On Wed, Mar 24, 2004 at 03:23:36PM -0500, Don Bowman wrote:
>
> > > Right, I think that's not the cause of your lockup :)
> >
> > Not being one to believe in coincidences... I'm typing
> > on the serial console. The machine halts, i can no longer type.
> > some seconds pass, out pops that message. This time too it
> > returned. Most times (when i run two postgresql vacuums
> simulatenously
> > for example), that's the end of it.
> >
> > I will continue to investigate.
>
> Check for disk problems..I have often experienced hangs or lockups on
> machines with faulty disks.

6-disk raid 5 behind ASR. All disks report optimal, controller
reports optimal. I know the hangs you mean, from the vm
swapin etc which holds all the locks. I don't think this
is they.

with ahd i would get scsi sense errors in the log for machines
with problems [CRC errors etc], i don't have a for what asr does
in this case.

ran a 96 hour memory test (memtest86), with ecc checking, there
were no soft or hard errors. Ran machine to 40 degrees C ambient
in environmental chamber, its all good. Its got 3 power supplies,
all are operational, fed from UPS.
This is a software problem somewhere I think.

I'm curious, how many people use ASR with current? It seems
like it might be somewhat unloved.