Re: LOR status page?

From: Garance A Drosihn <drosih_at_rpi.edu>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 20:01:37 -0500
At 3:46 PM -0800 3/24/04, Kris Kennaway wrote:
>On Wed, Mar 24, 2004 at 02:03:28PM -0600, Jon Noack wrote:
>  > Would it be helpful to put up a web page with all known lock
>  > order reversal false positives (or better yet all known lock
>  > order reversals with a status indication)?  This would allow
>  > people to check there before reporting, saving everyone time.
>
>Clearly we need to do something to stop people reporting the same
>non-bugs every day, the problem is that it needs to be somewhere
>people are likely to check.  Maybe a pointer to your proposed
>webpage in UPDATING will help.

Could we do something so we don't PRINT the false-positives?  If
we're about to turn 5.x-current into 5.x-stable, then it is not
good to tell users "Here are a bunch of error messages that you
should just ignore".  At least in my experience, what happens is
that users are much more likely to ignore *all* error messages.

I have no idea what would need to be done, of course.  I'm just
uneasy at telling users to ignore scary-looking error messages.

I do agree that a web page saying exactly which ones to ignore
would be better than expecting end-users to figure that out by
scanning the mailing lists...

--
Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad_at_gilead.netel.rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer           or  gad_at_freebsd.org