Re: My vinum scare

From: Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 06:31:41 +0930
On Monday, 29 March 2004 at  9:39:20 -0600, Kirk Strauser wrote:
> Yesterday, I updated my system from a 5.1-CURRENT build on 2004-01-29 to
> recent source.  All of my filesystems, except for root and swap, are on
> vinum volumes for flexibility in management.  After the 'installkernel'
> step, I rebooted into single-user to make installworld and run mergemaster,
> and this completed successfully.  Then, I rebooted to bring the system back
> online.
>
> That's when I discovered that vinum had totally lost all of its
> configuration information, except for the name of the single drive ("wd120")
> that I use.  Following the instructions at
> http://www.vinumvm.org/vinum/how-to-debug.html, I got:
>
>     # < log tr -d '\000-\011\200-\377'
>     IN VINOkanga.honeypot.netwd120a>P.pMg_at_[obme>MBR</name>
>         <geom id="0xc5e0da00">
>           <class ref="0xc08ebf20"/>

This looks nothing like the label.  Is this really exactly what you
got?  Were you using Vinum or the experimental GEOM implementation?

> I have no idea what happened, but I ask that you trust me when I say
> that I hadn't touched vinum at all during the system update.

You could still look at http://www.vinumvm.org/vinum/how-to-debug.html
and check on the information there.

Greg
--
Note: I discard all HTML mail unseen.
Finger grog_at_FreeBSD.org for PGP public key.