HEADS UP: Any umapfs users!

From: Peter Wemm <peter_at_wemm.org>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 15:45:06 -0800
I've just (slightly) pulled the rug out from underneath umapfs.  It is
easy to bandaid to make it compile etc, but that doesn't solve the
serious fundamental problems inside.  Basically, it has been suffering
from about 5 years of neglect in the tree, and is totally out of sync
with the vnode locking protocol.

The problems are nasty.  For starters, it has no vnode locking
implementation.  It used to have a stub "NOP" shim that stopped
insta-panics for a while.  However, the moment that a vnode is
reclaimed and goes inactive, we're guaranteed of a deadlock when it
calls vop_inactive on the underlying filesystem.  (Or so I understand
from what Tim Robbins (tjr_at_) told me).

For it to live on, it needs a caretaker who can go back and duplicate
the last 5 years worth of development that has been done to its
ancestor, nullfs.  (umapfs is loosely derived from nullfs).  It needs
real vnode locking - this is critical these days.  It needs to be able
to survive in a full DEBUG_VFS_LOCKS kernel.  Adding a bandaid is wrong
because it just takes it further in the wrong direction.

Any takers?  Read fs/nullfs/null_vnops.c::null_lock() and friends before
you say yes.
--
Peter Wemm - peter_at_wemm.org; peter_at_FreeBSD.org; peter_at_yahoo-inc.com