Re: serial ata on freebsd 5.2.1 or current

From: Wes Peters <wes_at_softweyr.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 05:44:57 -0000
On Sunday 07 March 2004 03:32 am, Bob Bishop wrote:
> Hi,
>
> At 07:10 07/03/2004, Putinas Piliponis wrote:
> >Hi all,
> >Is there any serial ata controller which works stable with 5.2.1 or
> > Current ?
>
> FWIW I've had a Promise PDC20376 SATA150 running a RAID1 array under
> 5.1R for a guinea pig^W^Wcustomer for 6 months with no problems.

We tried all the low-end S/ATA RAID controllers and settled on the 3ware
as the most reliable by far.  Our simplest test, bring the system up with
dual 160g drives in a mirror configuration and yank the power to one of
the drives, panic'ed with every controller but the 3ware.  I'm sure this
is a naive test, but it convinced us quite quickly.

Anyone wanna buy a very slightly used Promise controller?  ;^)

--

        Where am I, and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Wes Peters                                               wes_at_softweyr.com