FBSD 5.2.1-p4 and mysqld problems

From: Daryl Chance <chancedj_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 19:10:36 -0800 (PST)
we are having a couple problems with mysql on FreeBSD
5.2.1

the dmesg is located here:
http://sql.tribalwar.com/dmesg.today

It's just a generic config with IPv6 removed and the
ix86 stuff removed (just i686 left).

one of the problems we are having is that there is 1
specific table in the db (and it's only 1 database too
that this happens) is getting corrupted and forcing us
to have to repair it.  This one could just be a
problem with mysql and it's just accelerated w/ using
it on FreeBSD 5.x.  We haven't nailed any specific
time that this happens nor any specific
insert/select/update that could cause it.  Is there
any way to verify (through FreeBSD userland commands
or ports that you may know of) that this isn't a drive
problem?  Is there something I can run on FBSD that
will help me to track this problem down (perhaps some
sort of GEOM logging)?

the other problem we are having is that mysql will
lock up.  1 of the mysqld processes freezes (uses up
all the cpu) and it won't allow anymore queries
against it until we shutdown.  Is there any way for me
to debug this and find out where it is hanging?  Is
there a working alternative to truss?  Or should I
just compile option PROCFS in and use it next time it
locks?

I realize that we shouldn't be running this as a
production server, but other then these issues with
mysql, the server and it's webserver counterpart are
rock solid.

Should I upgrade to 5-CURRENT and run it for a couple
days before trying to assuming these are new issues
:)?

also,  we are running against linuxthreads but also
get this problem with the default threading in FBSD
(libc_r?) for 5.2.1

Daryl