Re: Change default dumpdir to /usr/crash?

From: Panagiotis Astithas <past_at_noc.ntua.gr>
Date: Sun, 02 May 2004 16:32:30 +0300
David O'Brien wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 30, 2004 at 02:30:40PM +0200, Thomas Quinot wrote:
>
>>* Panagiotis Astithas, 2004-04-30 :
>>

>>>I was wondering (since being bitten by this occasionally) why don't
>>>we change the default dumpdir in /etc/default/rc.conf to /usr/crash
>>>instead of /var/crash? The default partitioning scheme in sysinstall
>>>(when you press 'A') creates a /var with only 256MB, whereas it
>>>retains a huge amount of space for /usr. Shouldn't we help Joe "the
>>>defaults" User have working crashdumps?
>>
>>The proper fix would probably be to change the default partitioning
>>scheme, not to move the crash dumps. I think one property we try to
>>guarantee is that /usr be mountable read-only through NFS for a cluster
>>of workstations, whereas /var is always mounted read-write, for its
>>purpose is to contain files whose contents *vary* over time.
>

> All correct.
>
> Panagiotis, please instead propose a proper size for /var.

Hmmm, tricky. In my office alone I can count at least 5 systems with
different amounts of memory, from 128 MB to 1 GB. Now only the first one
can get crashdumps in a 256 MB /var. If we resize /var to 1 GB (as I
usually do) we get working crashdumps in 4 out of 5. Upping it to 2 GB
we get all 5 of my systems. The maximum configuration of 4 GB (for
32-bit systems) needs a 4.5 GB /var, which is not too much for the 60 GB
hard disks we buy nowadays in laptops (servers come with larger disks
and need more space in /var for logs, anyway). If we cater for 64-bit
systems too, we need even more...

I think I would be conservative and suggest a 1 GB /var for now.

--
Panagiotis Astithas
Electrical & Computer Engineer, PhD