Re: sio: lots of silo overflows on Asus K8V with Moxa Smartio C104H/PCI

From: M. Warner Losh <imp_at_bsdimp.com>
Date: Sun, 02 May 2004 11:18:15 -0600 (MDT)
In message: <20040502130027.O1806_at_gamplex.bde.org>
            Bruce Evans <bde_at_zeta.org.au> writes:
: No, but siointr() doesn't go near the tty layer or almost any other
: layer.  It uses pseudo-dma and schedules a SWI to transfer data between
: its buffers and the tty layer.  Fast interrupt handlers cannot call
: other layers because they cannot reasonable lock other layers or
: vice versa.  (Even the call to the scheduler to schedule a SWI in the
: current implementation is a layering violation.)

So it is also safe to call the tty layer w/o giant held from the SWI?
I guess that was my question.  Or is the SWI wrapped in Giant when I
wasn't looking...

Warner