Re: missing libncurses.so.5 and other lib*

From: Joshua Boyd <boydjd_at_adelphia.net>
Date: Sun, 02 May 2004 21:59:49 -0400
Steve Kargl wrote:

>On Mon, May 03, 2004 at 03:02:01AM +0200, haig_at_sylac.de wrote:
>

>> as they were working nicely.
>>any ideas how I can get a shell ?
>>or another solution ?
>>

>If you have a /rescue directory (which you should), then
>boot into single user mode and specify /rescue/sh as your
>shell.  Next, mount your filesystems with /rescue/mount
>and restore the missing libraries from your backup tapes.

Yes, I'm sure that he has backup tapes for his laptop.  *rolls eyes*  I
ha da problem similar to this where libraries were "missing" but instead
the librariers were there but the .so.randomnumber wasn't there.  Get
into single user mode with your rescue floppy, mount your file systems,
and you can try to symlink .so.5 to whatever the correct .so file is.
This is just a dirty fix though, and you'll probably want to rebuild
from source like you said once you can actually get into single user
mode so that you don't have this problem with all of your libraries.