Re: Change default dumpdir to /usr/crash?

From: Michael Hamburg <hamburg_at_fas.harvard.edu>
Date: Mon, 3 May 2004 10:03:33 -0400
On May 3, 2004, at 4:04 AM, Brad Knowles wrote:

> At 10:00 AM +0200 2004/05/03, Erik Trulsson wrote:
>
>>  Try that calculation for a machine with 32MB RAM. You probably need a
>>  minimum suggested amount of memory as well for that.
>
> 	Okay, then memory * 1.25, with a minimum of memory + 256MB, and a
> maximum of memory + 1GB.

Your suggested maximum seems like it would have little effect,
percentagewise.  What's the real difference to someone with an 8GB
server whether their /var is _by default_ 9GB or 10GB?  Presumably,
however, they will notice that their suggested minimum /var size is
larger than the suggested minimums of all the other partitions
combined, and 9GB up from 256MB.

If we increase default /var sizes, we should definitely tell the user
why somewhere in the install process, so that they can change it back
if necessary.  Not everyone will want to sacrifice this amount of
memory for crashdumps, for the same reason that people turn off
INVARIANTS: the possibility of being more useful in a panic just isn't
worth the cost, be it a gig of HD space or half the CPU being eaten by
the system.  There's also a privacy issue, as crashdumps may contain
passwords and the like.

Mike Hamburg