Re: Backups and all that

From: Kaarthik Sivakumar <kaarthik_at_comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 05 May 2004 01:24:13 -0400
>>> "KK" == Kris Kennaway <kris_at_obsecurity.org> writes:
KK> On Wed, May 05, 2004 at 12:53:46AM -0400, Kaarthik Sivakumar wrote:
>> Actually I have been meaning to ask: what exactly do you backup?
>> Everybody and every doc says "backup the important stuff", but what
>> exactly in the system is important? Currently I backup the following:
>>
>> /boot/loader.conf
>> /etc
>> /usr/X11R6/etc
>> /usr/local/etc
>> /usr/local/share/config
>> /var/db/pkg
>> /home/<user>
>> /root
>>
>> Is this sufficient?

KK> Only you can really answer that :) If you have files in other
KK> directories that are important, of course you should back them up.
KK> For example, not doing a full system backup will mean you have to
KK> spend a lot of time reinstalling from scratch, e.g. reinstalling all
KK> of your ports.

Currently I am backing up all configuration information, since I spent
too much time reading too many docs to set up my machine the way I
want it. I cant go back and find the same docs and reread them if
anything should happen to the machine. Infact I did lose data when I
was running -stable but then I decided to switch to -current instead,
so I had to reread all kinds of docs and redo my entire configuration
all over again since -current and -stable currently dont do most of
the things in the same way. My backup was therefore made moot.

I havent otherwise lost any data and so I dont quite know what else is
important. I just wanted to know what others were doing with respect
to backups; atleast those who are taking backups.

kaarthik