Re: Updated SATA support patches for Intel ICH & Promise cards

From: Scott Long <scottl_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Wed, 05 May 2004 14:19:40 -0600
David Schultz wrote:
> On Wed, May 05, 2004, Sren Schmidt wrote:
>
>>David Schultz wrote:
>>
>>>I have two SATA drives that are mirrored via ccd(4).  The
>>>mirroring apparently introduced some sort of race that led to
>>>problems, which started when ATAng was committed.  The specific
>>>symptoms changed as the ata driver evolved, and varied from kernel
>>>panics in the best case and data corruption in the worst case.
>>>But the details of the problem aren't as important as the fact
>>>that some aspect of Doug's patch fixes them!
>>
>>Have you considered using atacontrol to create an ATA RAID instead ?
>>Does that work ? on an unpatched kernel ?
>

> This is an Intel 875P motherboard, and I think the controller only
> supports striping, not mirroring.  If this is not the case, I'd
> happily try it, although it would take a while for me to find the
> time to back up and migrate my data if there are any
> incompatibilities.

The ICH5 controller on the southbridge has no concept of RAID.  It's
just a SATA/IDE controller.  Your motherboard might have a BIOS that
understands striping and/or mirroring the two SATA disks, but that is
a purely software function and has nothing to do with the disk
controllers.

I find with much chagrin how effective the marketing campaigns are for
software RAID these days ;-)

Scott