SMP on an old Proliant

From: Wm Brian McCane <root_at_maxbaud.net>
Date: Thu, 6 May 2004 13:07:01 -0500 (CDT)
Howdy,

	I recently got a pallet of old Compaq Proliant servers (1650s,
3000s and 5500s).  I am playing with a 5500 with Quad Pentium Pro 200's,
2GB EDO Ram, 90GB RAID/5, etc; So I installed -stable on it.  Built a
kernel with SMP and.... no joy.  Wiped the install and installed
-current... still no joy.  I have been unable to get the SMP to recognize
more than one processor.  I have tried to boot with and without ACPI;
With ACPI it says:

ACPI-0159: *** Error: AcpiLoadTables:  Could not get RSDP,
AE_NO_ACPI_TABLES

ACPI-0213: *** Error: AcpiLoadTables:  Could not load tables:
AE_NO_ACPI_TABLES

ACPI: table load failed:  AE_NO_ACPI_TABLES

Guess that means that it doesn't have ACPI :).  With SMP and apic enabled,
I get the message:

cpu0 on motherboard

And, when I run mptable, it dumps out a MP v1.4 table (I can send details
if anyone has any ideas).  I have trudged through a ton of messages on the
mailing list site, and have found some messages from people using similar
hardware (dual PPro 5500 boxen), none mention the failure to initialize
the other processors.  Anyone have any suggestions?  Or at least have it
working?  It finds all the processors in the BIOS, mptable and Windoze2k.

TIA,

- brian

He rides a cycle of mighty days, and \ Wm Brian McCane
represents the last great schizm among\ McCane Consulting
the gods. Evil though he obviously is, \ root_at_mccons.net
he is a mighty figure, this father of   \ http://freenews.maxbaud.net/
my spirit, and I respect him as the sons \ http://www.sellit-here.com/
of old did the fathers of their bodies.   \ http://recall.maxbaud.net/
    Roger Zelazny - "Lord of Light"        \ http://www.mccons.net/