Re: 5.2.1 stability

From: Freddie Cash <fcash_at_sd73.bc.ca>
Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 09:55:38 -0700
On May 7, 2004 09:25 am, Adam Maloney wrote:
> We've been having SMP issues with 4.9 and 4.10 on a couple different
> pieces of hardware, but have had success with 5.2.1.  I asked this
> particular question ons freebsd-table, but I think -current might be
> a better place for it.

> If we can get our necessary services running on these boxes under
> 5.2.1, how stable is it likely to be?  Basically, if I setup one of
> these boxes as a mailserver, and it will only ever be a mailserver,
> can I expect the 5.2.1 codebase to behave in the long term?

I've been running a mail gateway with Postfix, Amavisd-new, ClamAV, and
SpamAssassin for about 3 months now running 5.2.1-RELEASE.  The server
is a dual-AthlonMP 2200+ with 3.5 GB RAM and 3 200 GB drives in a RAID5
setup using a 3Ware Escalade 7506-4LP card.

Had some problems with a test install of Courier-IMAP on that server
when running the ULE schedule and ADAPTIVE_MUTEXES enabled in the
kernel.  Trying to manipulate a folder with more than 10,000 messages
would panic the kernel (spinlock held for more than 5 seconds, or no
kernel memory left) and force a manual run of fsck on the 300 GB /home
partition.  Switching back to the 4BSD scheduler without
ADAPTIVE_MUTEXES fixed that.

The server has been running without problems for over a month now.  The
server blocks about 5,000 spam and 4 - 6,000 virus messages a day, and
lets through about 10,000 or so clean messages.  Handles mail for about
15 domains.

Load average rarely goes about 2, CPU sits around 10 - 15% most of the
time.  Works quite nicely.
--
Freddie Cash, CCNT CCLP     Helpdesk / Network Support Tech
School District 73          (250) 377-HELP   [377-4357]