Re: Unified getcwd() implementation

From: Bruce M Simpson <bms_at_spc.org>
Date: Sat, 8 May 2004 02:23:57 +0100
On Sat, May 08, 2004 at 11:02:28AM +1000, Tim Robbins wrote:
> It's not inherently Linux-specific, but it exists solely for the benefit
> of Linux emulation. I don't see why they need to be merged at the
> expense of complicating the native system calls -- we have way
> too many tentacles of the Linux emulator reaching in there already.

Sorry, what you are saying here doesn't seem to make sense to me.
The implementation of getcwd() in the Linux emulator is a full getcwd()
implementation.

The whole point of reverting to directory scanning rather than using the
namecache is to address the problems caused when path components can't be
found in the namecache; this is the ethos of the patch, which eliminates
the duplicated functionality in the Linuxulator at the same time.

I don't understand how this 'complicates native system calls' when it's
intended to address several PRs which exist with regards to our current
implementation of getcwd() in FreeBSD, unless there is something I'm missing?

> > You seem to be concerned about plagiarism. Could you clarify or explain
> > your concerns?
>
> getcwd_scandir() has clearly been copied from linux_getcwd.c. The work
> needs to be attributed to the author, Bill Sommerfeld, and the NetBSD
> license needs to be honoured.

Fair point well made. The patch was a 'quick hack' and wasn't intended
to be committed when it was written precisely because of this.

Regards,
BMS